There are a growing number of broadband providers (also known as Internet Service Providers or ISPs) offering superfast broadband in Oxfordshire.
In order to get the best deal, you’ll have to compare prices and decide which provider has the package that suits you, and then contact the provider directly to place your order.
There are lots of price comparison sites out there for you to compare offers and get impartial advice on which provider to choose. Comparison sites which you could use are:
- Cable.co.uk (the Availability Checker on our homepage is provided by this comparison website)
- Broadband Genie
Within Oxfordshire there are a growing number of small independent providers of fibre broadband which you won’t find on the price comparison sites. These tend to operate in specific villages or towns. Below is a list of the smaller companies you may also wish to consider.
(Please note neither Oxfordshire County Council or Better Broadband for Oxfordshire endorse these companies – our aim is to provide as much information as possible for residents and businesses to make their own informed choice).
If you are an independent service provider able to provide fibre broadband within Oxfordshire and wish to be added to the list above please contact: email@example.com
If you plan to upgrade to fibre broadband here’s some useful tips to think about:
Check your current broadband contract
If fibre broadband is available in your area, you will need to check your current broadband contract. Typically, customers sign up for contract periods (typically 12/18/24 months) and you may need to complete this agreement before you can switch broadband providers. If you are still within your contract and wish to stick with your current broadband provider, most providers will allow you to upgrade to a fibre package.
Do your research
The Better Broadband for Oxfordshire Programme is working to upgrade the infrastructure that provides your broadband connection. Unfortunately we can’t offer any advice on the best broadband package for you, or which provider you should sign up with.
As mentioned above there are lots of comparison websites that allow you to compare packages, or look out for offers in local and national media. When comparing packages, look out for things like:
- Speed - check this carefully as some broadband packages cap download/upload speeds in return for a cheaper tariff.
- Usage - is your package unlimited or can you only download/upload a limited amount each month?
- Contract - check your contract length. Depending on your package this means you will usually be signing up for 12/18/24 months.
- Calls - you could combine your broadband package with your telephone service and your TV package, which may help you to save money.
- Offers - there are lots of incentives on offer from broadband companies to sign up to their products. Typically these are discounted introductory periods or vouchers for high street stores.
Place your order to upgrade to a superfast broadband service
Once you have selected your broadband provider (also known as an ISP - Internet Service Provider), you will need to get in touch with them to place your order. This can usually be done by telephone. Your provider will supply you with an installation date and details of what you will need to do to get up and running.
Once you’ve spoken to your chosen provider they will arrange for an engineer to visit your property who will set up your new fibre service ready for use.